Thursday, November 20, 2008

marriage, etc.

I'm not sure if I'm normal in this arena or not; I probably am. This has only happened a couple times in my life that I can recall. Someone that I used to be close to got married. It's this odd-oh-shit-we're-growing-up feeling, mixed in with some nostalgia, a little twist of saddness that I am not yet married (but I'm not upset about this in normal moments). There's another element of happiness for that person because, although they don't have a role in your life anymore, it's comforting to think that they have their own world of which to be a part. We all truly are the center of our own world; and I don't mean that in a negative "egoist" sort of way, but it is ego, and ego is there, regardless of judgement.

I read A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle this last summer and it was amazing. My comment about the ego reminded me of this book. I will read it again after I'm done with The Time Traveler's Wife, which is a great novel. In Tolle's book, he talks about ego and how it is fed and how it grows; it's part of being human, and he doesn't use that fact to justify the absurd behavior of the ego, but writes about it so as to make the reader aware.

That's really all I wanted to write about, marriage, babies, ego, and longing, growing up, happiness, books, and the list continues. I'm off to take my computer to the apple doctor. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"The Time Traveler's Wife" is the best book I've read all year. I'm eager to hear what you think of it when you are finished.

Sarah Jayne said...

Dan, do you have a blog too? I can't get to it from your name, it says you blocked your profile. I'm over half way through Time Traveler's and I can't imagine not loving it, as I love every minute of it so far. I will let you know!