Monday, November 17, 2008

Nikola Tesla is amazing!

I watched a History Channel special on Nikola Tesla, who is amazing, invented Radio, AC current and helped Westinghouse electrically power and light Chicago's World Fair in 1893. He was one cool guy. Edison was a total creep and he electrocuted elephants, and Tesla invented remote controls, and saved injured Pigeons. Tesla was clearly the better man. Also, he wanted to build a wireless power machine to transfer information and even music without wires (he predicted an idea like the internet 100 years before it happened!) That's really all I have to say about that.

Today was a good day! I got up, cleaned up my apartment, did the dishes, showered, took a bunch of silly photos of myself that are at the top of this blog, started a new blog, went to my parents, finished my laundry, went to Kohl's for my mom to get my stepdad a xmas present (no peeking!), went to starbucks to get my tips (yay), was invited to Seussical on Friday with Chad (so excited), and went to work at PKD. I've been doing really well there! I love everyone I work with. And, I've been getting a lot of pledges - I broke the record on number of pledges in one night! I talk with wonderful people every night. Just tonight I talked with a lovely woman who was really helpful and told me all about her family's experience with the disease. I have compassion for people who are suffering; and I hope I'm helping the world in a small way by having the job I have.

And then sometimes you get the grumpy jerks on the phone. I get thrown off by the unkind people, or the the people who hang up on me or yell at me (it just seems bizarre, I'm just trying to help a non-profit raise money so they can fund more clinical trials so that someone can find a cure). So to everyone who is reading this: if you come across a telefunder, all of us prefer people to kindly decline, not hang up. I know all 8 of us at PKD feel that way. I know people view it as an interruption, but it's not like we're calling random people; these are typically people that have PKD and have pledged to the foundation before.
So, there; just remember to be nice.

I have been having great text message conversations. I sort of love text messaging. What do I have going tomorrow you ask? I will continue spiffying up my loft, and I have a orthodontic's appointment in the am. My doc said I only have a couple more months. I CAN'T WAIT. I'm so so so so excited. I bet it will feel really weird not to have them; I've heard it's slimy feeling. We'll see.

I should go to sleep! But the Tesla thing is still on and I have to see the end, he was a genius. Night!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you like Tesla, you should see the movie "The Prestige" with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale. It has David Bowie as Tesla! Cool movie.